question

nocallaghan avatar image
nocallaghan asked nocallaghan answered

Wifi Direct

Hi, We are looking at using your clover device as an in-car payment facility for taxi drivers. Our software currently runs on an android device that sits with the driver in the front of the cab. This device is already equipped with a 3G data connection.

We will be installing the clover device in the back seat for the passenger to use.

We would prefer not to have to purchase two SIM cars and manage 2 data connections. Is it possible for the clover device to essentially piggy back on the data connection of the driver device? I can see three methods:

1) Share data over bluetooth. I am not sure if this is possible. 2) Create a hotspot on the driver's device, which the clover app will connect to. This seems the most straight forward, but I believe hotspots are not good for performance and can also shut off after a period of inactivity. 3) Connect the clover device with the driver's device using Wifi Direct

We favour the third option, as it uses a lot less power and gives us more control over the connection.

So my question is, do the Clover devices support WIfi Direct? I see it is included in Android 4.0+ but that the hardware itself, the wifi chip must also support it.

Many thanks, Niall

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

anthonypinto avatar image
anthonypinto answered

In order to be PCI compliant our devices are not Wifi Direct enabled. Clover devices can access internet via ethernet if your current interface would be capable of supporting an ethernet connection.

10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jacob Abrams avatar image
Jacob Abrams answered

Anthony is correct that Wi-Fi Direct is not available. We have disabled most bluetooth functionality so that is not an option either. I think the solution of creating a hotspot on the driver's device should work.

10 |2000

nocallaghan avatar image
nocallaghan answered

Thank you Anthony and Jacob for the feedback.

We will look into the hotspot solution. I believe it is possible to programmatically manage the hotspot from the driver's android device, and this may give us the control we need.

Failing that, a MiFi device in the car, which both the tablet and the clover device can use may work too.

Many Thanks, Niall

10 |2000

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community