question

detorres avatar image
detorres asked seanzicari commented

Why am I getting "This app is not available on this device"?

Working in a Genymotion emulator following the "Android Emulator Setup" instructions - API 19, 1280x800 - 213dpi. I'm in the sandbox. I created the hello world app that shows the item name of the first item in the inventory. I can find the app in the marketplace, but it says "This app is not available on this device." Why doesn't it see this emulator as a Mini/Mobile? What else is it looking at?
Emulator
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Raymond Lee avatar image
Raymond Lee Deactivated answered seanzicari commented
Hi @detorres,

The reason why you are getting that error is due to the App Market app not recognizing the emulator as a Clover device, which is due to the emulator emulating a phone/tablet instead of a Clover device.

What you can do instead is install your app from the Web App Market from your test merchant's Web Dashboard. The app should then be automatically downloaded and install on your emulator. Also, from then on, you can sideload your app to the emulator with no issues.

Hope that helps,
Raymond
5 comments
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

santiagocirillo avatar image santiagocirillo commented ·

Thanks for your response.
Seems to work now installing from the Web App Market.

Thanks.
Santiago.

0 Likes 0 ·
seanzicari avatar image seanzicari commented ·
Raymond Lee,

I tried what you suggested but am still getting that error. I'm using an emulator created through AVD in Android Studio, API v19 (without Google Play APIs). I've tried numerous different emulators at different settings but have not been able to get my custom app installed. I'm using a sandbox account. Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
WR
0 Likes 0 ·
@Raymond Lee Thank you for the response. The App Market app shows it under Installed Apps. The Web Market also shows it is installed. See the attached screenshots.

However, it doesn't show up on the home screen of my device. I noticed the pricing options for the US are configured and the app appears to be installable, but not for the other nationalities. That's not a problem, is it?

App Market app
screenshot-1525059013.png

Web Market
screen-shot-2018-04-29-at-104052-pm.png
0 Likes 0 ·
Raymond Lee avatar image Raymond Lee seanzicari commented ·

No, that is not a problem, if the pricing was not set correctly, you would not be able to install it. This is a strange issue if you cannot see your app in your emulator, can you try an "adb install <your package name>" when you have your emulator running? That should install your app to your emulator for sure.

0 Likes 0 ·
seanzicari avatar image seanzicari Raymond Lee commented ·

Thank you for the advice. I'll give it a try.

0 Likes 0 ·
seanzicari avatar image
seanzicari answered seanzicari commented
@Raymond Lee Can you give me some advice based on my comment above? Any help would be appreciated.
3 comments
10 |2000

Lee Tickett avatar image Lee Tickett commented ·

Hi @seanzicari, what behaviour are you seeing? When you login to the merchant web dashboard and install the app does it not automatically install to all of your devices?

0 Likes 0 ·
Raymond Lee avatar image Raymond Lee commented ·

Hi @seanzicari,

Even when you install the app from the Web App Market, it will still show "This app is not available on this device" in the emulator's App Market. However, your app should be pushed automatically to your emulator regardless.

It could be the case that your app has not been downloaded yet, as the emulator is still trying to download updates for other Clover apps. If that is the case, you should see a download icon in the notification icon. If you click on it to go to the App Updater app, you can click on "Install now" to install all the updates, and your app should be included at the bottom of this list of updates.

-Raymond

0 Likes 0 ·
seanzicari avatar image seanzicari Raymond Lee commented ·

@Raymond Lee The first set of updates completed successfully. I'll check again though...maybe I missed it.

0 Likes 0 ·
seanzicari avatar image
seanzicari answered seanzicari edited
@Lee Tickett I can install the app on my virtual device form the Web App Market, but I can't use it. The app has a banner above it that says "This app is not available on this device".
10 |2000

seanzicari avatar image
seanzicari answered Raymond Lee Deactivated commented
@Raymond Lee I do see it on my tablet, but I don't seem to be able to actually use it. Perhaps this is where my lack of Clover development practices comes in. How am I supposed to be able to run the app? The example docs talk about being able to launch it and see the "Hello World" message, but I can't seem to get that far.

Thank you.
1 comment
10 |2000

Raymond Lee avatar image Raymond Lee commented ·

@seanzicari When you mean you see it on your tablet, do you mean in the App Market app, or on your home screen? Here is an example from my emulator (and a Cookie Shop app):

App Market:

Home screen:

If you are able to find it in the App Market app, make sure it says "Installed", if so, your app should be somewhere on your home screen. Try clicking and dragging left and right on the home screen to cycle through all your apps, to try and find your app. Once you find it, once you click on it, it should open up your app.

Hope that helps,

Raymond

0 Likes 0 ·
app-market.png (116.2 KiB)
home-screen.png (161.9 KiB)
Bryanne Vega avatar image
Bryanne Vega answered seanzicari commented
1 comment
10 |2000

@Bryanne Vega What is your probable solution? Is it too long to type out here?

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community