question

jonathan avatar image
jonathan asked jonathan commented

Authentication for Web App without actual employee

I am building a webapp that will need to access Clover without having an actual employee.

My initial plan was to allow the merchant to create a login for the web app and then enter that login in the configuration page. The webapp would store that login and use that login for all actions. The problem I am seeing with this is that it is not obvious to me how the merchant will create a login. I see that the merchant could create an employee with a PIN, but this appears to me to be different than a login that can be used to perform an OAUTH authentication. I do not actually see how to create the login. Also I am not particularly fond of this method as it will require the merchant to perform some technical steps. Is this possible or even a desirable process to follow?

Alternatively, I would create a "webapp" employee as part of the initial configuration using the REST API. Again, I can see how to create the employee, but not the associated Login. I looked in both V2 and V3 API. Is there a method for this?

If there is not a REST API method, does this mean that I really need to use the merchant API Tokens method?

OAuth
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jacob Abrams avatar image
Jacob Abrams answered jonathan commented

Who is going to be using your web app if it is neither the merchant or an employee? Your question sounds similar to this one:

http://devask.clover.com/question/969...

Let us know if that answers your question.

1 comment
10 |2000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jonathan avatar image jonathan commented ·

I think this answers it. I did not understand that the OAuth token is permanent. I was assuming that I needed to get a new one on a regular basis.

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome to the
Clover Developer Community